Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Brayden's 1st Field Trip


Brayden had his first school field trip this past Thursday and I am lucky enough to have great friends to watch Camden so I could chaperone. I really thought a lot about if I should go or not but decided this year I would go (there's only 2) and then next year I wouldn't (we'll see!!!!)

I'm so glad that I went because that morning I heard about moms that couldn't go crying while they dropped their little ones off. And as we loaded onto the bus (it was a 20 minute ride away) I understood because if I wouldn't have gone I don't think I could've sent him alone without having an anxiety attack. Funny thing is that morning I remember thinking this is no big deal and I shouldn't be going because all he'll do is want me to carry him. I didn't expect to get emotional (just tears in the eyes no one could see if they weren't looking) after all we've been to the zoo, beach, nature centers, etc....lots in his 3 1/2 years; but this was different. Seeing him sitting there in those HUGE bus seats looking out the window reminded me that my baby is growing up and soon I won't be there and that makes me sad. In theory I do want him to be independent and ask him all the time why he can't do more for himself (he's not even close to dressing himself!), but when it comes right down to it I am going to have A LOT of trouble when he does want the main ties cut! I joke with him and tell him he'll always be my baby....only I'm not really joking!

By the way he did great on the field trip to the nature center. He never once asked me to carry him and as you can see from the picture he even raised his hand (of course I don't think he knew why he was doing it other than he saw other kids with their hands up). His next field trip is in the spring and I think Jared is going to try to take a day off so he can go next time.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Good job, Mom. It is hard to walk that fine line between wanting them to grow up and letting them. Take a breath and enjoy every moment. Please remind me of this when I am that "emotional basketcase mom" that I tend to be:)!!! I think we all have our moments.

Janine said...

Glad it went so well for you, Kim!

Jodi said...

caleb knows he is still my baby because I tell him all the time. I told him a long time ago that I'll still walk him to class on the first day of his senior year because that's just how it is. He is such a gracious young man. He just nods and says, "I know." It doesn't really ever get easier. You can think that is does and is, but then you break out in tears anyway. No, it only gets "different." Glad you made it to the event. :)