Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Day of School



My little man is growing up so quickly, I try to remind myself of this everyday and hope it helps me put things into perspective. Most of the time it doesn't and I still take things for granted and just try to get through the day without going insane! This is one day I took in as much as I could and hope it will be burned into my brain and heart forever. I didn't get all 'emotional' so I guess some might say I was heartless (my words), but my heart was bursting with pride and I knew I had to hide any anxiety I felt about leaving him. He was in a safe and comfortable place (he goes to preschool at our church, the attached school goes to 8th grade). Three long hours later I went to pick him up where he beamed at me and stood up and said to anyone who would listen 'that's my mommy' and then jumped into my arms. The lump in my throat was huge!


He has been to school three times now and he loves it. His 'report' slip that I get every time has comments on it that my boy is 'happy, joyful, talkative, listens well, and enjoys playing with all the kids in his class'. Yesterday he was waiting for his lunch and was saying como te llamas. WHAT?!?!?! When I asked him what he said he replied very matter of factly, "I'm asking you what your name is". I ran to his stack of papers from school and sure enough there is a paper with Spanish words and translations on it. He had Spanish for the first time that day for 20 minutes. I took Spanish for a whole semester in high school and I didn't even know what he said!


Camden is a totally different child when his big brother is in school too. He is quiet, calm and less reactive. He takes in what's around him instead of just watching his brother. I see a lot of Brayden in him when it's just the two of us.


So I didn't cry, but I knew this was the best thing for us and that Brayden (and me) needed this. Besides he's only going two days a week......we'll see what happens when he starts kindergarten!!!!! Then I'll be the mom following the school bus with big sunglasses on so no one sees how red and puffy my eyes are!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You are an amazing mom!!! Don't ever forget that don't ever think that your heartless. You taking your child to a great place and assuring him (by not being an emotional basketcase!) that this a wonderful place shows what a great mom you are.
Besides, would you want your mom to take you to a place where she was crying when she dropped you off?
Enjoy your time with Camden and enjoy how quickly your oldest boy is growing up. You have done a great job (Jared too!).

Janine said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh, so excited to go to your blog and see THREE new posts!
So glad your vacation was fun!
You have a beautiful family!!!
It's so fun knowing you better through your blog!