Wednesday, May 7, 2008

No HOT WATER!

There isn't a picture to go with this (and if there was you'd all be very afraid!!!!). We knew our hot water heater was as old as the house and then about 4-5 months ago the relief valve started to leak. I was prepared, or so I thought, that we would go until the thing died and then we'd get a new one. That is fine except one thing......we REALLY should have had an idea of a replacement, where to get it, where the best deal was, etc....etc.....etc. We actually even talked on Monday about the fact that the thing was on it's last leg. Well I guess it overheard us because this morning (Wednesday) when we were washing hands before breakfast the water just wouldn't get warm. I went downstairs and the pilot light was out, okay I can handle this. Read directions to refresh memory and light the pilot. First attempt-failure; second attempt-failure; third attempt-yeah, success.....only to have it go out as I was putting the cover back on. The next 5-6 attempts throughout the day as I was calling Jared freaking out and then trying to call distributors (no one seems to want to replace water heaters, I guess it's not a big enough job?!?!) were all failures. I finally got the hint and left it only. So I finally got ahold of someone at 3pm and he was totally booked up but I guess he heard my frustration/panic and said he'd be here in 5 minutes (I also have this company service the furnace and A/C twice a year so I am a loyal customer, that should count for something!). The kids are napping so it's a perfect time. Well picture this.....Steven shows up and Camden starts to cry, he's in his crib safe so he'll have to stay there; he takes a look and finds out that it's not a 'standard' hot water heater hook up but not a problem it'll just cost a little more (of course, that is ALWAYS my luck!). I trust this company, Diane the receptionist is always soooo nice and so are the guys that come out here but I still feel a little uncomfortable going with the one and only estimate. So as I sit and try to figure all of this out, mind you I probably smell because I haven't showered and I have my hair up and no makeup and my face is really broke out right now, Brayden wakes and starts to cry and then comes out of his room with tears and snot streaming down his face in just his t-shirt and diaper. Camden is REALLY screaming now since I've ignored him for 5 minutes. The poor guy just couldn't get out fast enough!!! But I do think he felt sorry for me because he called me 15 minutes after he left and said he got his hands on the model we need and someone (he'll stay away I'm sure!) will be here to replace it at 8:30am tomorrow morning!!!!!! So still not feeling great about going with the first estimate, I searched more and got ahold of someone who could do it for around $300 less but not until next Tuesday. Lets see.....save $300 and go 5 more days without hot water; or pay and be able to take a hot shower tomorrow morning. Yeah, I guess I wouldn't have made it in the good ol days!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I am with you...git 'er done! The hot shower will take care of it all!